Tuesday, October 4, 2011

L. A. Bank's Vampire Huntress Series

I have known of Mrs. Banks for years.  However, I've never considered reading any of her books.  I was turned off by the covers.  I just figured it was junk writing.  However, in late August 2011, I heard that she had passed.  I was thinking she wasn't that old.  I wondered what happened to her.  So I you tubed her.  I really liked her spirit.  She seemed to have been a very nice, fun, and down to earth woman.  I thought such a pleasant personality and well read woman would not dare write junk.  So I was able to get Awakening which is the 2nd installment of her twelve book Vampire Huntress Series.  I was hooked.  Not only have I read the entire series, I own them all.  They proudly sit on my book shelf.  I know that every few years or so when I need good fiction, I will re-read the series again.

I highly recommend that everyone began with Minion, even though it is not my favorite.  All of her books should be read in order, and I've listed them in order.  She doesn't back track.  She expects you to be up to speed in each book.  If by chance you can't get Minion first, go ahead and read Awakening, but don't go any further until you read Minion.  It is important to get the characters and their stories straight from the get.

I dedicate this thread to the memory of Mrs. Leslie A. Banks and James Brown's song Superbad.  Mrs. Bank's was a Super Bad writer.  Thank you Mrs. Banks for leaving us such a great collection.  Carlos and Damali will live on for many years through thousands of readers.  My only regret is that I did not start reading her sooner.  The good thing is that I don't have to wait for any of the books to be published.  I guess the old saying of "don't judge a book by its's cover " is true in most cases.  It is absolutely true in The Vampire Huntress Series.

In addition, I would like to highly recommend Tony Browder's Nile Valley Contributions.  If you are fortunate enough to get a copy and read it before or along with the Vampire Series you will learn alot. It is written in plain and simple form.  Mrs. Banks brings serveral of the historical and mythological characters to life, i.e. Heru, Aset, Adam, Eve, Nefertiti, Nzingha, Hannibal, etc.  He gives you the low down on these characters.  The book is out of print.  However, it can be purchased used.  It would be wonderful if we could create such a demand for his book, he'd consider reprinting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment